- This map shows the most widely-spoken language other than English
or Spanish by county, displayed by urban agglomeration.
- English is the most widely spoken language in all 50
states. Spanish is the second most widely-spoken in most states,
except Louisiana, northern New England, the Dakotas and Hawaii. More
information on the second most predominant language can be found with
- Alaska and Hawaii are not included in this map. The second most
prevalent language (after English) in Hawaii is Tagalog, while Native
American languages are prevalent in Alaska.
- The "Other" category primarily consists of Asian languages:
- In the Minneapolis area, the language is Hmong; or African languages, if considered a group.
- In Columbus, Indianapolis, Lancaster PA, Prince George's County MD, it is African languages (as a group)
Other maps I made: